Thursday, August 25, 2016

Science and Faith

I was brought up with a firm belief in science and that science alone would provide all the answers people needed. I considered myself to be agnostic about God throughout all of high school and college and was one of those people that would say “hey if God wants me to believe he exists then why doesn’t he show himself to me?”. I considered blind faith to be a fool’s errand. I mean why would a being that could create a universe like this one need little insignificant humans to cast their unrequited affections toward him? To prove how gullible they are?

So now years later, after some crazy, out-of-this-world events in my life and a lot of deep thought I finally realized that I had been doing what a large fraction of those people who consider themselves to be agnostic or atheistic also have been doing: they are defining their own beliefs based only on the ideas that organized religions have carved out for them. So they ask questions like “Why does the eventual destination of my alleged eternal soul rely on a silly ritual like asking to be saved?” or “If God created everything then why can’t he just make the devil go away?”. Questions such as these are based on the supposition that many of the things that organized religion take for granted are actually true. I mean to most intelligent people, so many of the things that organized Christianity espouse seems silly and child-like and yet a HUGE portion of the adult world believes in these things. I for one NEVER put any stock in most of these ideas, but I didn’t let that stop me from considering the following: what if God and spirituality are real but COMPLETELY different from what institutional religion teaches?

Well that appears to be the case and that's what this discussion is all about...

No comments:

Post a Comment